Sunday, September 8, 2019

Attack of the Killer Hummingbird

In the 1990s I was climbing out of a canyon in Utah and took a break under an overhanging rock. A hummingbird started diving at me. It would stop short then retreat and dive again. This vicious bird was threatening to deliver a full force body blow. With the whole 3 ounce body. Oh, it was terrifying. I could only think of one thing that makes birds act so goofy. I looked up and saw a nest hanging from the ceiling. I came back with a mirror and saw 2 chicks, the only ones I've ever seen. I've seen eggs once before. Hummingbird nests are elusive. The bird was acting on instinct, but that's just silly. What can a hummingbird intimidate? Years before that I was in the living room of a house under construction and could see a hummingbird on a high window. I climbed up 2 stories and grabbed him. I took him outside with his tiny head poking out of my fist and threw him in the air. Away he went. He might have stayed on that window until he died. Why did he let me grab him?